FLOSS UK (formerly known as UKUUG) was a membership organisation which hosted conferences for people interested in open source and open standards.
FLOSS UK had two existing virtual machines running different Linux distributions (RedHat and Debian) on a legacy platform. I migrated all the services onto new cloud instances, and at the same time converted all the manual configuration to Ansible playbooks stored in Git for version control. I also managed and maintained the new servers, keeping them up to date and dealing with any feature requests.
System administration changes included:
- Automated security updates of Debian packages using unattended-upgrades.
- Automated security certificates for web and email using LetsEncrypt.
- Automated updates of WordPress using wp-cli.
- Automated daily backups of websites and MySQL databases.
Services migrated and managed included:
- SMTP (Postfix)
- IMAP (Dovecot)
- Databases (MySQL/MariaDB)
- Websites (Apache and Nginx)
All externally accessible services were secured with TLS.